Advancing Literary Programs
in Prince Edward Island
What is the Foundation?
The Rotary Literacy Foundation was formed in 2006 and incorporated under the PEI Companies Act as a non-profit company and a Registered Charity under the Canada Revenue Agency. The Foundation is a partnership of:
What We Do
The Rotary Literacy Foundation is a unique collaboration that seeks to improve literacy and other essential skills among residents of Prince Edward Island through the strategic disbursement of grants to organizations and groups. Our focus is on promoting reading, numeracy, critical thinking, computer literacy, and other necessary skills required to participate fully in contemporary civic society.
Why We Do It
A recent report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) revealed that nearly 46 percent of adult Prince Edward Islanders, and 48 percent of all adult Canadians, are unable to read with sufficient fluency to function in today’s information-loaded society. Other essential skills also need to be promoted to improve and enrich the lives of Islanders.
If your organization has an idea for a project that helps improve literacy and essential skills on PEI, it may be eligible for funding from the Rotary Literacy Foundation. Please review the details below.
The deadline for submission is August 31, 2020.
Grant Application Overview for 2020-2021
- Three funding streams focused on adult learners, youth and communities;
- We encourage projects that demonstrate sustainability of the project and value for money;
- We also encourage projects that may show collaboration between organizations and the availability of alternative and/or matching or other funding.
Projects aimed at improving literacy and essential skills;
- Projects aimed at educating and increasing the public’s awareness of the importance of literacy in PEI;
- Organizations that are a qualified donee as defined in the Income Tax Act.
Duration of Grant
- Maximum of one year from time of grant issuance
- Commercial “for profit” ventures;
Funds Allocated for 2020-2021
- Up to $5,000 for small grant proposals and up to $15,000 for large grant proposals.